Sri Lanka recognized the state independence of Azerbaijan on February 12, 1992.
The diplomatic relations between two countries were established on August 4, 1992.
High level relations:
- The President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev congratulated Maithripala Sirisena, the President of the Republic of Sri Lanka on the occasion of National Day – The Independence Day on February 1, 2016.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan Elmar Mammadyarov congratulated Mangala Samaraweera, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka on the occasion of National Day – The Independence Day on February 4, 2016.
- The President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev expressed his gratitude for congratulations to the Maithripala Sirisena, the President of the Republic of Sri Lanka on the occasion of the national holiday- Republic Day on June 21, 2016.
High level bilateral visits:
- E.Mammadyarov, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan paid an official visit to Sri Lanka on May 5-8, 2013, had meetings with Mahinda Rajapaksa, the President of Sri Lanka, G.L.Peiris, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, B.Rajapaksa, the Minister of Economic Development, A.P.Yapa, the Minsiter of Petroleum, R.Bathiudeen, the Minister of Trade and Commerce. A Protocol on Cooperation between the Ministries was signed during the visit.
- Ambassador I.Hajiyev has visited Sri Lanka, to participate part in the celebration of the 67th anniversary of the country's independence, met with the President Maithripala Sirisena and the Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera, on February 1-5, 2015.
- T.B.Ekanayake, the Minister of Culture and the Arts of Sri Lanka participated in the 2nd World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue on May 29-June 1, 2013 in Baku.
- Ambassador I.Hajiyev visited Sri Lanka to participate part in the celebration of the 68th anniversary of the country's independence, met with the Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera, on February 1-5, 2016 to discuss opportunities of the reciprocal visit to Azerbaijan.
Cooperation in humanitarian field:
- Representatives of Azerbaijan participated in World Youth Conference on May 6-10, 2014 in Colombo.
- Deputy Director of the Geological survey and mines bureau of Sri Lanka Mr. Saccana de Silva attended the 9th Baku Summer Energy School, on July 4-17, 2015, in Baku.
- The Government of Azerbaijan expressed its gratitude to the Government of Sri Lanka for the support of the candidature of Azerbaijan to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for the term of 2017-2019 on June 14, 2016.
Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Sri Lanka was $ 6057.4 mln in January-June, 2015.
Bilateral Agreements between two countries:
1 agreement is in force.
1 agreement - was agreed.